February 15, 2021

The Two Licenses You Need To Open A Pub

When you get ready to open a pub or any other business that serves alcohol (like cafés, events locations and social clubs), there are several legal steps you need to take, including buying the establishment, incorporating as a business and ensuring your building is appropriate to run a business in.

As well as this there are two licences you need to apply for to be legally allowed to run any business that serves alcohol. One is a license for your premises and one is a personal license for the owner and operator of the business.

Both of which are covered by the Licensing Act 2003 and pub solicitors can help any budding pub landlord with the specific rules and requirements needed to successfully apply for both licenses.

Personal License

A personal license is applied for individually and gives you the legal ability to supply and serve alcohol on any premises, as well as authorise others to do the same.

The reason a license is needed is that you need to be responsible for following the four objectives of the Licensing Act:

• Public safety

• Prevent crime and disorder

• Protect children from harm

• Avoid public nuisance

Premises License

As well as this, you will need to make a formal application for a premises license, which unlike the personal license only applies to the company itself, and allows a business to sell alcohol, to operate late at night and to provide entertainment.

An applicant must be 18 years old and must supply an operating schedule, a plan of the building itself, details of the licensable activities that will be undertaken, and a formal agreement from a personal license holder who will supervise the pub and be legally responsible.